Saturday, January 26, 2008

One Week

Seven days to go, and I should probably be packing. But because you're all so curious, I'll answer your questions instead.

- Where are you going? Botswana, a country in southern Africa.

- Is that near Kenya? No, it's quite far away. And just so you don't worry too much, Botswana has often been praised as one of the only African nations to have done everything right politically and economically.

- How do you get there? On an 18 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg, South Africa, with a brief stop in Dakar, Senegal. Then a one hour flight from Johannesburg to Gaborone.

- What are you doing there? It's an environmental studies program. We take some classes and go camping and carry out a month-long independent study project. My project will probably be some comparative analysis of environmental education in Botswana versus the U.S.

- What language do they speak? British English and Setswana. No, I don't know Setswana. Yes, I will have to learn.

- Where will you stay? All over the place! We travel from the capital city Gaborone to rural villages to excursions in the national parks. I'll have three different homestays while I'm there.

- Did you need a lot of immunizations? Rabies and typhoid, plus malaria pills to take with me.

- Will you have email? Sometimes. Definitely in Gaborone, but obviously not when I'm camping in a tent on excursion. Send me lots of messages, though! I'll respond when I can.

- Will you bring me back a monkey? Nope. No lions either. Immigration officials wouldn't let me.

No comments: