Saturday, May 30, 2009

Let the Good Times Roll

I promised you stories from senior week and- oh boy- do I have stories. Where to start??

I'll start with the Paw Sox. My dream of four years was to see the Paw Sox play, and so one gorgeous Tuesday afternoon, I went with one of my best friends Yifan, her boyfriend Jeff, and two other good friends, Matt and Steph, to see them take on the Buffalo Bisons. In an amazingly close game, the Paw Sox pulled out a win with a two-run homer in the bottom of the 8th! After the game, Yifan and I posed with our heroes, the mascots Paws (on the right) and Sox (on the left). You are never too old to take photos with stuffed mascots.

My next adventure was meeting the president of Brown, Ruth J. Simmons. I'd actually met her twice before (not that she remembers), but this time I got a photo to document it for all posterity!! With me is my friend Pat, a fellow tap dancer. We told Ruth that next year she better come to the What's On Tap show. Why anyone would want to miss it, I don't know.

A great deal of senior week involved food. This was perhaps our last opportunity for free food, so my friends and I went to almost every event offering food. In our spare time, we traipsed up and down Thayer Street, treating ourselves to "one last _____": slice of Antonio's pizza, Juniper frozen yogurt, Del's frozen lemonade, Johnny Rocket's milkshake (that's me sharing with my suitemate Margaret), Kabob and Curry Indian buffet (for breakfast!)... You get the idea. Freshman 15, not so much. Senior 15, probably.


Yeah, here are more food pictures just to prove my point (at a picnic on Lincoln Field, and dinner at the Union Station Brewhouse before the senior formal):

I also accomplished my goal of going into every major library on campus. I saw an original copy of Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" in the John Carter Brown and thousands of lead soldiers in the John Hay (some of which are shown here). It was incredible! The libraries at Brown have amazing things. I could've spent a day and a half looking at everything from handmade books, to books bound in human skin, to Brown's New Curriculum, to old-fashioned telescopes and copies of the Brown Daily Herald from the year I was born. Unfortunately, I had to run through in half an hour, but no worries, I'll be back for my 5th year reunion if not before.

And finally, Unit Wars. Although Unit 5 the Beehive didn't come away in first place, we definitely had the best costumes, the best representation (40/56 people!), and the best spirit. We defeated our competitors in everything from 3-legged racing, cracker- and watermelon-eating contests, flip cup (with water), joke-telling, song-and-dance ("Stay in the Hive," written by my friend Garrett freshmen year to the tune of "Stayin' Alive"), trivia (it helps to have the former editor-in-chief of the newspaper on your team), juggling eggs for a talent contest (that one was me), and pyramid building--that's a triumphant Claire way up on top!! The Beehive has a special place in my heart, and whether we came away with the prize or not, we ARE the BEST unit. Any Brown '09er knows that, because out of all the units, ours definitely had the most groupies and honorary members. If you're under the age of 25 and reading this, you're probably one of them.

No comments: