Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Smallest State, The Longest Name

Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations is considering changing its name to plain old Rhode Island. I had no idea! I love my little state with its disproportionately long name. And I loved this editorial, too. It made me appreciate all the quirky aspects of my homes, like the university-named streets of University City, how the rich live on Power Street and everyone else lives off Hope in Providence, and how hydrilla-infested Lake Seminole boasts the aptly named Fish Pond Drain and Grassy Flats.

Given that no one writes out "Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations" in everyday life, I support retaining the history of the name and oppose the change. If for no other reason, the full name serves the purpose of being a great trivia tidbit, and it perhaps attempts to compensate for the diminutive size of my for-a-few-more-weeks home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Since you love it, RI can always be one of your homes, and it can always be Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations in your heart. (And I'm with you on the whole subject!)