Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bon Voyage

So here I am, sitting in the Detroit airport on my way to Paris via Newark. The only problem is that the flight is delayed for an hour and a half... but that means I have plenty of time to post a final time before heading into the land of uncertain internet!

First things first: I'll be keeping up with this blog, but my group also has our own webpage, www.hazomanga.org. You can find more general info there about our project, our group members, and our photos. Since the four of us will be jointly managing it, it may be updated more frequently than my personal blog. And, fyi, hazo manga means 'good tree' in Malagasy. We figured that was appropriate for a project focused on reforestation and conservation of some of the world's most unique landscapes. Hazo manga also has some spiritual connotations; I think the hazo manga in many villages is an ornate wooden pole given to the leader to represent power (an African scepter, sort of). That might be totally wrong, though. I'll let you know once I'm over there to find out the exact meaning.

Also, the undergrad art class we are traveling with for the first three weeks will be maintaining a website as well. I have no idea what that web address is, but I will post it when I find out.

And finally, my luggage: I successfully packed lighter than when going to Botswana. I have one 30-in duffle bag, a daypack, and a small tote bag. I have 4 pairs of underwear and as many pairs of shoes, 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, one dress, and 4 t-shirts. I have a camera, binoculars, handheld solar meter, two sketchbooks, and various other pieces of scientific equipment. I also have a sandwich and an orange for dinner, which I was hoping to eat in Newark but I may have to eat it here if this airplane doesn't come soon.

The nice thing is that I'm flying the same airline (Continental) from here to Paris, so my luggage will see me next in Charles DeGaulle. That is assuming we leave Detroit, and assuming the volcanic ash doesn't close the Paris airports. From there I have four hours in CDG to find my teammates' meeting spot before they arrive. I have heard horror stories of getting lost in CDG but four hours ought to be sufficient... And then, finally, we will all be together and if I get lost, I will be lost with friends, and then three days later, I will be getting lost with the lemurs. Fantastic!

I love you all! Send me emails! (I'll return the favor whenever possible.)

1 comment:

Jensen said...

Hi Claire!! Have a great trip :) I'm looking forward to reading about all of your adventures!