Saturday, June 5, 2010

On Our Own

Friday, June 4, 2010 – 10:30 pm
Well, today is the last day of EcoExplorers Madagascar. It’s way past my Malagasy bedtime, but we just got back from taking the undergrads (except the few that are staying after on their own) to the Tana airport. It seems weird and surreal to have the first portion of the trip over. I got used to traveling around the country and sightseeing, and so even though we’ve been out of the States for a month, I haven’t been working much on my project. It will be great to get started hardcore on that, but I’ll miss spending my days checking out lemurs and rainforests and giant chameleons.

The plan for the next couple days is to buy supplies, including phone and internet cards, in Tana tomorrow then drive to Fianarantsoa. If all goes well, we should make it to Tulear the next day, where we will buy more supplies for solar and irrigation system construction. We’ll take some time for internet research, find ourselves a room to rent for the next couple months, and stock up on food for our time in Ranobe. I have no idea how long we’ll spend in Tulear before heading back out to the field. Once there, we hope to stay and work for 6-10 days, then take a few days break back in Tulear or at the beach 7k away. During our breaks, we’ll have internet, showers and flush toilets, and markets to restock our food supplies. To cut down on costs, two of us will probably stay at the beach (sans internet) while the other two take care of things in town—so I myself may only have internet every 2-3 weeks.

No comments: