Today was unseasonably warm for October (82 degrees, wow!), so I put most of my Saturday errands on hold and decided it was instead the perfect day for exploring the Alewife Brook Reservation (supposedly my new favorite place, according to my last post). After an exhausting morning of walking miles around town to do the absolutely necessary errands, I took the T to Alewife and started hunting for the Reservation. It was supposed to be adjacent to the T stop and is 120 acres, so I figured it would be obvious, right? Well, I couldn't find it. I found what looked like an entrance, but it was under construction and closed. Then I found a very nice bike path that did not count as a park or hiking trail, despite me walking a mile or so down it just to check. So then I walked a half mile or so in the other direction to see if I could find an alternate entrance. Nope. All I found was a giant Pfizer industrial park. Incredibly annoyed and footsore, I got back on the T and came home, where I searched rigorously online until I found the disappointing news that construction closures will be in effect through summer 2013. Moreover, the "120-acre urban wild" seems to have been encroached upon by houses, as the map shows houses edging the ponds and trails.
I am so disappointed. I thought I had found my outdoor getaway! Instead I spent the most beautiful fall day traipsing around Pfizer.
No comments:
Post a Comment