Monday, December 12, 2011

How to be a Grown-Up 101

Everything they don't teach you in college but that you really, really need to know and feel really, really awkward asking:
  • How to iron a dress shirt. 
  • How to tell when produce is ripe.
  • How to evaluate health insurance options. (HMO and PPO and HRA and all those acronyms...)
  • How to interpret a credit card statement. (APR and more acronyms...)
  • What a 401(k) is.
  • How to hammer nails, drill holes, and hang pictures.
  • How to clean your pots after a burnt cooking disaster. (Boiling water with baking soda? Who knew?)
  • How to remove tough stains. (Salt or seltzer for red wine? Again, who knew?)
  • How to make a pot of coffee. 
  • What a credit report is. 
  • How to find a doctor when you're not a student, and what medical records to transfer. 
  • What not to put in the dryer.
  • How to sew on a button. 
  • How to open a bottle of wine.
Lest you think I'm totally unqualified to be a grown-up, I did actually figure out some of these years ago. Others I still don't know. I leave it up to you to guess which are which.

And you'll notice that "how to use a fax machine" didn't make this list.

No comments: