Work is still crazy. The crushing period of deadlines is not over. But this last week marked the end of our annual review period, and I got positive remarks all around! Hooray for little pats-on-the-back. Part of the reason the last week was so tough, though, was because I decided I'd had enough of NOT having fun, and I became a little social butterfly. Late nights ensued. I slept in until 9:30 every weekend day, which is late for me, and I snoozed my 7:30 weekday alarm about a bazillion times.
- Last Friday, I went to a small games night with a friend from SNRE and two of her friends. We made nachos for dinner, and I contributed cookies for dessert (thank goodness I had baked and frozen some a while back, because I was way too exhausted to bake during the week). I won our first game gloriously! I lost the next one miserably. Can't win 'em all.
- Last Saturday, I went to an Ugly Sweater party with other SNRE friends. Alas, I had no ugly holiday sweater to wear. (As one friend pointed out, "why would I own something I consider ugly??" I replied that he was obviously behind the times, because ugly sweaters are now trendy, provided that they are nicely fitted, worn with leggings or a cute skirt, and bought at a fashionably overpriced store.) Although there were craft materials to make your own ugly t-shirt, my friends and I didn't participate--all kidding aside, why would I want something I consider ugly? So my fellow SNREds and I made ourselves at home near the gingerbread house-making table and snacked on construction materials. And eggnog. I love eggnog.
- On Wednesday, I went to a Celtics basketball game with IEc. Although I have never followed basketball and couldn't name a single Celtics player, this was something I figured should be on every Bostonian's bucket list. Before I bought my ticket, though, I verified that other work friends who aren't avid fans would be there, too... The Celtics are apparently not doing very well this season, but they won this game! It was close until the 4th quarter, when the Minnesota Timberwolves seemed to get tired and the Celtics pulled ahead. The final score was 104-94.
- On Saturday (last night), I went to yet another holiday party, a "S’möresgåsbord." That's right--a s'mores party. If you have a functional fireplace in your apartment, why wouldn't you throw such a party? It was great, and I am definitely going to use the idea one day when I have my own fireplace. We had a vast array of chocolate: in addition to standard milk and dark, we had Rolos, which work remarkably well when skewered and surrounded by marshmallow, and mint Ghirardelli squares. There was hot spiced cider to drink. Because Saturday also happened to be the first night of Hanukkah, we of course played dreidel and ate latkes. This party is a new annual tradition, and I'm already looking forward to the 2013 event.
- The most exciting thing on my calendar, though, is happening this Tuesday--the Boston Pops Holiday Concert! Check back later for a review of that one. :)
| Celtics vs. Timberwolves |
No comments:
Post a Comment