Guess who just upgraded to a window desk?! That's right--after two years at IEc, I now have enough seniority to be worthy of a view. And oh, how I love it!
Today was my first full day in my new cubicle. I moved most of my things Wednesday afternoon (mostly because I was tired of working and, well, impatient). My computer and phone were moved yesterday afternoon. I thought it would be weird not to walk to my old desk this morning, but it felt completely natural. It was clearly meant to be.
But the decision actually didn't come easily. My new desk is only five feet away from my old desk--that made moving simple. Sadly, my new desk is also sandwiched between two of the loudest people at IEc (this pronouncement would not be news to them--I think they were hired to be loud and assertive), and they are constantly on the phone. It's hard to think straight when both are talking at once. But my choice was either to stay sitting across from them, where I could still hear every word, with no window... or I could move between them and gain a window. I took the window.
So the volume hasn't really changed, but the lighting has. My new cube also seems bigger, but maybe that's just an illusion since it's so well lit. I've offered up my extra chair to friends who want to work on their suntans. As an added bonus, I am almost always freezing in the office, and many people complain about how hot it gets sitting by a window. (Really? I'll take it!) I figure this upgrade will mean I spend less time wishing blankets and sweatpants were work-appropriate attire.
Without further ado, this is my new home!
You may notice that my African violet (yes, the violet that traveled from a wedding in Cleveland to Florida and Georgia to Boston) is still doing well one year later. You may also notice (or not; you can barely tell in this photo) that I have a beach photo as the background on my computer screens. Then just to round out the comfortable atmosphere, I have a Japanese-style fish painting that I've had since freshman year of college, a snapshot of Colin and me in St. Louis (other photos that used to be tacked to my walls haven't been put back up yet), a Koosh ball, Buckyball magnets, and a dish of rocks that used to house the air plant that I killed. My sweaty running clothes and the gigantic pile of snacks that keeps me going every day get stuffed in my drawers to keep up appearances.
And on the other side of my cube, I have what I like to call my "reading nook." I love the appearance of books on shelves, so long ago I brought in my relevant text books/style books/reports. I've also acquired a few in my two years at IEc, so that all makes for a happy (if really uninteresting to anyone not interested in environmental economics) bookshelf. Also making an appearance in this photo is my IEc fleece. I am apparently not the only one who freezes in the office because last year the principals handed out thick blue jackets emblazoned with our logo. And since I am tiny and Lands' End doesn't make jackets in extra small, wearing my fleece is pretty much like wearing a blanket... which is not conducive to productivity, actually.
If I look a little tanner next time you see me, it's probably from all the extra sunlight in my life now. And hey, if it takes two years to get a windowed cube, how long does it take to get a corner office with a door?
Today was my first full day in my new cubicle. I moved most of my things Wednesday afternoon (mostly because I was tired of working and, well, impatient). My computer and phone were moved yesterday afternoon. I thought it would be weird not to walk to my old desk this morning, but it felt completely natural. It was clearly meant to be.
But the decision actually didn't come easily. My new desk is only five feet away from my old desk--that made moving simple. Sadly, my new desk is also sandwiched between two of the loudest people at IEc (this pronouncement would not be news to them--I think they were hired to be loud and assertive), and they are constantly on the phone. It's hard to think straight when both are talking at once. But my choice was either to stay sitting across from them, where I could still hear every word, with no window... or I could move between them and gain a window. I took the window.
So the volume hasn't really changed, but the lighting has. My new cube also seems bigger, but maybe that's just an illusion since it's so well lit. I've offered up my extra chair to friends who want to work on their suntans. As an added bonus, I am almost always freezing in the office, and many people complain about how hot it gets sitting by a window. (Really? I'll take it!) I figure this upgrade will mean I spend less time wishing blankets and sweatpants were work-appropriate attire.
Without further ado, this is my new home!
You may notice that my African violet (yes, the violet that traveled from a wedding in Cleveland to Florida and Georgia to Boston) is still doing well one year later. You may also notice (or not; you can barely tell in this photo) that I have a beach photo as the background on my computer screens. Then just to round out the comfortable atmosphere, I have a Japanese-style fish painting that I've had since freshman year of college, a snapshot of Colin and me in St. Louis (other photos that used to be tacked to my walls haven't been put back up yet), a Koosh ball, Buckyball magnets, and a dish of rocks that used to house the air plant that I killed. My sweaty running clothes and the gigantic pile of snacks that keeps me going every day get stuffed in my drawers to keep up appearances.
And on the other side of my cube, I have what I like to call my "reading nook." I love the appearance of books on shelves, so long ago I brought in my relevant text books/style books/reports. I've also acquired a few in my two years at IEc, so that all makes for a happy (if really uninteresting to anyone not interested in environmental economics) bookshelf. Also making an appearance in this photo is my IEc fleece. I am apparently not the only one who freezes in the office because last year the principals handed out thick blue jackets emblazoned with our logo. And since I am tiny and Lands' End doesn't make jackets in extra small, wearing my fleece is pretty much like wearing a blanket... which is not conducive to productivity, actually.
If I look a little tanner next time you see me, it's probably from all the extra sunlight in my life now. And hey, if it takes two years to get a windowed cube, how long does it take to get a corner office with a door?


No comments:
Post a Comment