Thursday, May 22, 2014

Am I Wrong? Memories of Botswana

I recently discovered the song "Am I Wrong" by Nico and Vinz. The song has an inspiring message and is unbelievably catchy--the perfect summer dance tune. (I may or may not have danced to it alone in front of my bedroom mirror while listening to it on repeat.) Nico and Vinz are actually a Norwegian duo, but the video was filmed in Botswana (Maun, the gateway to the Okavango Delta) and Victoria Falls on the Zambia-Zimbabwe border.

As soon as I learned that, I had to watch the video again to reminisce. Victoria Falls remains one of my very favorite places on Earth--the sheer power of all that water was awe-inspiring! I felt humbled to be standing alongside the falls, drenched and blinded by the spray. Just for fun, here are a couple of my old blog posts about Victoria Falls (here's one with photos) and my living situation in Maun.

I can't wait to return to southern Africa one day. My heart swells when I see that huge, open landscape, and I love the slow pace of life and the focus on relationships over "achievement." Although the months I lived in Botswana and Madagascar were stressful in their own ways, I felt much less overwhelmed and anxious about the day-to-day than I do here. I dream of one day spending another few months in Africa, maybe on a service trip when I'm older. And I dream of finding a way to bring the sense of calm and wonder that I felt while there into my normal, American life. Anyway, this video by Nico and Vinz perfectly captures the African landscape and lifestyle that I remember!

... Am I wrong? For thinking that we could be something for real... Now am I wrong? For trying to reach the things that I can't see...


No comments: