Wednesday, June 24, 2015

An Engaging Story

What a whirlwind this summer has been! I've been back from Greece for almost three weeks now, but things have been moving at lightning speed and I've hardly had a chance to catch my breath. I haven't even been sailing since I came back, so you know it's busy.

Greece was amazing, though, and I'm looking forward to sharing some stories on the blog. The most important of which is this:

All the blues: sky blue, azure blue, turquoise, indigo... and sapphire.
Colin and I are engaged! He surprised me with a gorgeous sapphire ring after kayaking through intense wind and waves to Aspronissi, a tiny deserted island just off the coast of Naxos. I now know that Colin was nervous about kayaking in that wind with the ring (unbeknownst to me, it was in the drybag in the bottom of his boat), but I thought the trip was great and even yelled across the water to him at one point: "I feel like an intrepid explorer!" The whole day was perfect--outdoorsy and active, low-key, at the beach, scenic, and topped off by an unexpected and unseasonably fierce thunderstorm/hailstorm after we were comfortably back at Cafe Citron. I love thunderstorms, especially the raging summer variety. It was a momentous day that deserved a grand conclusion. And we are, of course, both super excited.

This is the view of Aspronissi from Naxos, after we came back. The paddle back was even windier than the paddle there, but at least the waves were pushing us toward the mainland, albeit, not the part of the mainland where we had parked the car. Our boats were just flying through the water!

Aspronissi in the distance.
I love love love that Colin picked a sapphire for my ring. (Okay, fine, I hinted that I wanted one.) The vibrant blue reminds me of the sea and the sky and nature in general, which is fitting for two outdoorsy SNREds like ourselves. And although this wasn't intentional, we both love that the stones on my ring are blue and white, just like the colors of the Greek flag. Greece will always hold a special place in our lives, and now I'll have a visible reminder of that every day.

So, yeah, vacation was pretty great.

In addition to getting engaged and kayaking through the Aegean, we also saw some ruins, like the Temple of Demeter:


And we went sailing just before another unseasonable storm rolled in (the weather really didn't cooperate this year!):


Obviously I had to sail the boat for a while:


And of course we ate tons of fresh seafood, like octopus. I think I actually prefer squid, but octopus is more fun. I love the tentacles!


Oh my gosh, so many stories to tell. I'll try to be better about posting in the coming weeks because there's a lot to share!

And one last, sort-of-sad but silly note: this marks the end of the "Colin" label on my posts. Now that he's moving to Boston and committed to sticking around for the next 80 years or so, he doesn't need a label of his own. I have a feeling he's going to be tagging along on my adventures more often than not (and I can't wait!). 

No comments: