Saturday, October 1, 2016

Begin Again

Hello!... is anybody out there?

Blogging dropped off my priority list after a crazy, busy, exhausting spring and summer. Colin and I are now very happily two-and-a-half-months-married, but in many ways we still feel like we're recovering from the wedding. The change in seasons feels a bit like a fresh start... so here I am again. Giving blogging a try again.

Part of the problem, I guess, is that I'm not really sure what to write about on this blog. My life is a lot less exciting than it was when I started this eight years ago, when I was headed to Botswana. Most of my thoughts - musings on my job, my goals, my friends and family - are too private for a public blog. But I'm hesitant to give up on blogging entirely, if only because I like having my memories documented somewhere, so--here we go again.

While I wait for inspiration to strike, I'll start with a massive photo dump. Here's what I've been up to since April, according to my iPhone:


I ran the Boston Athletic Association 5k in April. It was cold but fun, particularly because the course had us run across the Boston Marathon finish line.
A work trip took me to NYC, and I convinced Colin to come with me. We bought tickets to see School of Rock, Andrew Lloyd Webber's new musical, on Broadway and, of course, wandered through Times Square.
Colin graduated! He's Dr. Donihue now. And, yes, that's a lizard on a rock wall on his cap, just like the lizards he studies in Greece. 
We spent a lot of time walking around Cambridge to enjoy spring. This is Mount Auburn Cemetery, which was the first rural (i.e., park-like) cemetery in the U.S.
I also convinced Colin to run a 5k with me in mid-June. We ran a local race through Harvard Square. This is us pre-race. We looked a lot worse after the race because it was unseasonably hot.
We also spent time at the river sailing, kayaking, and paddleboarding. Gorgeous as always.
For the first time, Colin was here for the Cambridge Dance Party. It was everything he'd imagined and everything I've grown to love. In this photo, 10,000 of our neighbors are doing the YMCA.
Also for the first time, Colin was here when I won IEc's baseball ticket raffle! We watched the Red Sox demolish the Angels, 10-5. 
We also went down to the Esplanade to watch the Boston Pops dress rehearsal for the 4th of July, which is held on the 3rd of July. It was almost as packed as the concert on the 4th. Next year, maybe we'll just watch on TV?
Colin and his dad made this Giant Jenga set for our wedding. Even though it was rainy (in the middle of an extreme drought in Massachusetts?!) and unbelievably cold (60 degrees in July?!) on our wedding day, Giant Jenga still made an appearance, and it has since become our new favorite party game. 
We spent our honeymoon on Amelia Island, FL. Our B&B was wonderful and had this giant porch right on the beach.
In late August, we went camping in New Hampshire, north of the White Mountains. The campsite was quiet and nestled onto a scenic river bank. It was a perfect weekend, full of kayaking, stargazing, and s'mores.   
After leaving our campsite, we drove into the White Mountains and hiked. As John Muir once wrote, "the mountains are calling, and I must go." We went.
We made fresh pasta with the pasta maker we received as a wedding present. It might have taken us a while to figure out how much dough to use at once... (Hint: this is too much!)
We spent a gorgeous day in September with friends from SNRE at Spectacle Island. The wind was perfect for kite-flying. 

And that's it. I mean, I might have missed a thing or two, but those 15 photos pretty much cover April-September. Now let's see what October has in store...

No comments: