The weekend after Aaron's bachelorette party, I traveled south again to spend some time with Colin in New Haven. Between Rebecca's wedding and Colin's month-long stint in Europe, I hadn't been to New Haven since mid May. We initially had grand plans to check out a Connecticut beach, but the weather and car troubles made us reconsider.
Instead, we joined some of Colin's Yale friends for blueberry picking:
 |
| The farm we went to had strung up nets around the blueberry bushes to keep out birds. Grandmother and Grandaddy, take note! |
 |
| We didn't want to bring home too many berries, so - too bad! - I had to eat half the ones I picked. |
 |
| Successful mission. Again, sorry for the quality of the photos (disposable camera). |
We had also undertaken a craft project the night before. A year or so ago, my good friends Yifan and Jeff brought back a fun yardgame called
Kubb from their travels to Sweden. Colin and I had played with them several times and had talked about how easy it would be to make a set from simple blocks of wood. Colin picked out some wood of the appropriate sizes from Home Depot earlier in the week and we spent Saturday morning sawing and sanding. We wanted the game to be finished for a potluck barbecue after blueberry picking.
The Kubb set turned out beautifully, and we were in the middle of a riveting game with Colin's friends when the downpour started. Not wanting to have put in all that work for nothing, Colin and I played each other in his backyard the next morning.
 |
| Stated simply, the objective of Kubb is to throw wooden sticks at wooden blocks (kubbs) to knock them over. |
 |
| You win by knocking over all of your opponent's blocks plus the large King block in the center. |
1 comment:
Kubb!! I played that in Germany!
Post a Comment