Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summary of The First Year

Blogging has totally gotten away from me lately. Most weeks I actually include "blog" on my to-do list, but somehow between getting home from work, running errands, making dinner, running, reading (or, now, watching Olympics), doing chores, etc, etc, etc, it never happens. Instead, I compose blog entries in my head and think, "I'll just type that up later; the hard work of composing is already done!" Yet I always forget those brilliant words by the time I get to my computer.

But today was too significant of a day to pass up! Today is the one year anniversary of my grand debut as a working professional! Woohoo!

From the first paragraph of this blog post, you can see that even after a full year, I still have not figured out how working women get everything done. I don't even have kids or a puppy and I already don't have time to knit, sail during the week, or write on my blog regularly. Who knows, maybe this time next year I'll be complaining that I need more hobbies to fill my free time in the evenings! Wouldn't that be lovely!

I have grown more accomplished in other ways, however. Let me name a few:
  • I now can cook four staple dinners instead of just two, but I'm too embarrassed to tell you what they are. But, no, I don't count "salad" as one of them.
  • I have mastered creating a cube out of my Buckyballs magnets (best desk toy ever). 
  • I learned how to use a fax machine. This will probably never be useful again, but hey, it's a skill. 
  • I wake up before 8:30 even on the weekends. I actually enjoy it. It means I have time to do more things, like blog...
  • I learned how to play ultimate frisbee. My height is a serious disadvantage unless I'm on a team of all short people, and then we just pass the frisbee at knee level. 
There are probably still a few areas to improve, though:
  • Sitting still in a desk chair. I fidget and, more often than not, can be found sitting crosslegged in the chair.
  • Cooking. Maybe I can add another couple staple dinners to my repertoire by next year. And maybe they will actually be worthy of naming on my blog. 
Hmmm that's all I can think of right now. That either means I'm doing pretty well, or it means I stayed up too late watching the Olympics last night and am really sleepy. Take your pick.

No comments: