Saturday, January 18, 2014

Alpaca Christmas

Guess what I got Colin for Christmas this year?

No, not an alpaca. His current apartment is a little too small for one.

Instead, I knitted him a hat with special alpaca wool from Ecuador. Many years ago (2008? 2009?), before we started grad school in Michigan, Colin spent a few months as a research assistant in the rainforests of Ecuador. While there, he bought alpaca yarn in brown and blue. He just never made anything with it because, as he says, his knitting skills weren't worthy of such special yarn. (I think he learned how to knit in middle school? I've never seen anything that he made, though, so that's probably true.)

After knitting him a scarf last year, I guess I proved myself worthy of his yarn. So I set off to make him a hat, and I gave myself a hard deadline of Christmas... unlike for the scarf, which started as a Christmas present, then became an anniversary/Valentine's Day present, and ended up being a sometime-random-in-March present. Since this hat was hardly a surprise, I let Colin pick out the pattern.

And here it is! I finished it in mid-December, and because Christmas wouldn't be the same without some sort of surprise, I also made him another present with the extra time. I didn't think to get a picture of that one, but let me assure you, it was AWESOME. And far less time-consuming than knitting a hat. Next time I'm in New Haven, I'll get a photo and write about that one later. :)

Colin's Ecuadorian alpaca hat

No comments: