One of my best friends from grad school is having a baby girl in a few weeks. I (and she and her husband, of course) am so excited! To celebrate her soon-to-arrive bundle of joy, I decided to make a little hat.
I chose the yarn months ago. I always hate buying into gender stereotypes, and Aaron and Loren mentioned that they liked the idea of a jungle-y orange and green theme for the baby's room, so I opted for a sweet, bright orange called Clementine. I had some leftover maroon yarn from knitting Colin's scarf last year that I thought would coordinate nicely and add a little flare without being over-the-top girly. In fact, I thought the orange-and-maroon color scheme could work for any future male or female kiddos. Yay for possible future hand-me-downs! (Of course, should they have another baby in the future, I will probably be just as excited and want to knit another hat anyway.)
I thought about using the two colors to make stripes, but the yarns were totally different weights. So I decided on a pompom--because what's cuter than a tiny baby with a pompom on their head?! (Just for the record, I'm 26 and I wear a winter hat with a pompom on top. I guess I just like pompoms.) I shared my plan with Colin, and he mentioned that he is an Expert Pompom Maker. Knowing that it would be meaningful to have both of us contribute to our friends' baby's hat, I delegated the knitting part to me and the pompom-making part to him.
Here's where we ended up:
Oh, baby, I think it's cute! We just mailed it off with a couple picture books this week, so no worries, this blog post isn't giving away any surprises. :) (Side note: The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch is my new favorite book. It was first published in 1980, so how did I not know about it until now?? I couldn't stop laughing when I read the end in the bookstore. Spoiler alert: the princess Elizabeth hunts down the dragon who destroyed her village, stole her betrothed, and burned her clothes, forcing her to wear a paper bag. When she eventually rescues the prince, he tells her she looks silly and should come back when she's wearing real, princess clothes. She retorts that his clothes are nice and his hair is pretty, but he is a bum and she is not going to marry him after all. And then she dances off into the sunset, alone and in her paper bag dress.)
And just because, here's a silly photo of the creators of the hat with our masterpiece... which looks huge in this picture but was really quite small and baby-sized.
I chose the yarn months ago. I always hate buying into gender stereotypes, and Aaron and Loren mentioned that they liked the idea of a jungle-y orange and green theme for the baby's room, so I opted for a sweet, bright orange called Clementine. I had some leftover maroon yarn from knitting Colin's scarf last year that I thought would coordinate nicely and add a little flare without being over-the-top girly. In fact, I thought the orange-and-maroon color scheme could work for any future male or female kiddos. Yay for possible future hand-me-downs! (Of course, should they have another baby in the future, I will probably be just as excited and want to knit another hat anyway.)
I thought about using the two colors to make stripes, but the yarns were totally different weights. So I decided on a pompom--because what's cuter than a tiny baby with a pompom on their head?! (Just for the record, I'm 26 and I wear a winter hat with a pompom on top. I guess I just like pompoms.) I shared my plan with Colin, and he mentioned that he is an Expert Pompom Maker. Knowing that it would be meaningful to have both of us contribute to our friends' baby's hat, I delegated the knitting part to me and the pompom-making part to him.
Here's where we ended up:
Oh, baby, I think it's cute! We just mailed it off with a couple picture books this week, so no worries, this blog post isn't giving away any surprises. :) (Side note: The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch is my new favorite book. It was first published in 1980, so how did I not know about it until now?? I couldn't stop laughing when I read the end in the bookstore. Spoiler alert: the princess Elizabeth hunts down the dragon who destroyed her village, stole her betrothed, and burned her clothes, forcing her to wear a paper bag. When she eventually rescues the prince, he tells her she looks silly and should come back when she's wearing real, princess clothes. She retorts that his clothes are nice and his hair is pretty, but he is a bum and she is not going to marry him after all. And then she dances off into the sunset, alone and in her paper bag dress.)
And just because, here's a silly photo of the creators of the hat with our masterpiece... which looks huge in this picture but was really quite small and baby-sized.

No comments:
Post a Comment