Well, I just took my only midterm this semester. Yippee! I do still have one paper to turn in on Monday though... I also have two classes this afternoon, but the second one is on music and culture, including live musicians. Then tomorrow--to Kasane for "spring break"!
I may be relatively in communicado for the next month or so... We'll be on excursion in Kasane for the next week (and Victoria Falls in Zambia on Tuesday!!!). Then we spend 2 weeks in super-rural Shorobe, while taking classes in Maun. Maun is the tourist center of the region, so I imagine any available internet will cost ridiculously much. Then we spend a week on excursion in the Kalahari. Then ISP: I still have no idea where I'll be working.
To update you all on my homestay gift decisions: I thought I would cook for my family, but then, because Mpelo had been eating out with her boyfriend the past couple nights and Stella seemed to be eating by herself, I was afraid I would end up cooking for myself. (Not true--Mpelo and I made dinner last night for all 4 of us, the boyfriend included.) Anyway, I decided that dessert would always be appreciated so I made Rice Krispie Treats!
*side note: rice krispies and cornflakes are the only types of cereal readily available in Botswana. Marshmallows were also difficult to locate; most were fruity flavored. Chocolate chips, had I wanted to make cookies, also don't exist here, and neither do Ziploc bags, in case you wondered.
The treats were a huge hit!! I sort of made up the recipe and they didn't really have a proper pan, but they turned out delicious. Stella ate 2 last night, Mpelo probably had 4 (two of those were while we were cooking dinner--she just couldn't wait to try them), and Kofi (her boyfriend) also had 2. There aren't so many left today!
Mpelo also wants me to make pancakes. I'll try to do that tomorrow morning, but that might take a little more creativity trying to find ingredients... sour milk, though, will NOT be a problem to find in Botswana!
No comments:
Post a Comment