Did you know that Batswana kids play Duck Duck Goose too? Except they have no ducks or geese here, so they call it Zebra Zebra Lion. The rules are slightly different but essentially the same.
Kids here also play "Who Stole the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?" except it's "Who Stole the Chicken from the Cooking Pot?" We also sing Frere Jacques in both French and English and they love handgames. I've learned about 17 (exaggeration, maybe).
Other notable accomplishments:
- I carried water on my head for about 35 feet before it started to spill.
- I rode in a donkey cart.
Also an interesting an frustrating note: the Setswana spoken in Shorobe is not the same as that spoken in Otse. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere, I have to learn a new dialect! (But thankfully, because our oral exam is next Friday, we've been having more Setswana lessons. Matts is helping us figure out the differences.)

And here, another photo for you. This is part of my family: Keofe is the boy, Namune is next to me holding up her plate of fried eggs and chips, and Evelyn is on the right. They're all cousins to me, but Namu stays at our house so is more like a sister. (My only real sibling, Mmpena, actually spends the nights at his grandmother's house.) They're all wearing their school uniforms. I taught Dimakatso to use my camera so she took the photo inside our house. You can see the mud walls with a picture colored by Namu in the background and also a beer box covering one of our two windows.
1 comment:
You successfully (yes, you did!) carried water on your head??? I'm so impressed!
Rebecca, have you passed this along to Christina? She'll be impressed with you, too, Claire!
Post a Comment