Monday, April 23, 2012

More Earth Day

Tonight I discovered this neat documentary series, shown on PBS yesterday for Earth Day but now available online for those of you who were outside enjoying Mother Nature at the time (or, like me, just didn't know about it). The three, hour-long episodes focus on climate change and our abundant opportunities for global alternative energy. Although the series starts out with the basics, the narrator Richard Alley (a registered Republican who "plays soccer on Saturdays and goes to church on Sundays", and a professor of geosciences at Penn State) explores fascinating places and talks to some awesome people, like the mayor of Houston, officers within the Department of Defense, a Chinese energy planner, and several bona fide ranchers. I, for one, was amazed to hear the extent to which the DoD is counting on renewable energy to drive its vehicles and provide energy to soldiers in camps where current supply trucks face tremendous import costs and human casualties. If our defense budget is going to tower over all other national expenditures, the least we can do is cut energy costs. And if the military is trying to change, why can't the rest of us?

I haven't watched the second or third episodes yet, so I'm hoping Richard Alley has a good answer. 

   

No comments: